Friday, September 2, 2016

High Country Football is Back!

Two years ago, I boarded a bus from Buies Creek to Boone, North Carolina. I was a wide-eyed freshman, excited to cheer on his Fighting Camels against the Mountaineers of Appalachian State.

When the bus rolled up the mountain and I caught my first glance of App State, I was amazed by how many people were there! It was overwhelming to see how one game could bring a whole community together, even against a very unmatched opponent.

App State was making the transition from FCS to FBS, meaning they could now play in bowl games. Campbell had just brought back football and was in its seventh season in the FCS. That didn't matter to me, I had my eyes set on a Campbell victory.

The first words I heard when I took my first steps onto the campus of App State assured me that we were not in Buies Creek anymore. A fellow who, let's just say, had had a few, hollered, "We're gonna beat the salvation out of you Bible thumpers!"

And they did...66-0. The Mountaineers totaled 538 yards of total offense on the day, while Campbell only posted 95, and I'll just leave it at that.

If someone had told me that I would be going to school at App State in two years, I would have probably laughed in their face, but I'm now in my third week in the High Country and I could not feel anymore at home.

Christian and I helped move in Heather on January 2016
Last night, I witnessed my first App State football game as a Mountaineer. I watched with a purpose: to cheer on MY team, MY school, MY home. It was one of the most exciting football games I've ever watched because I could say, "That's my school and millions of people are watching."

If anyone caught the game or the final score, they would know that we fell short of an upset of the No. 9-ranked and SEC member, Tennessee. We took the Vols to overtime in their stadium on their opening night. Later this season, they will look back and remember the night they barely beat those Mountaineers from just 160 miles away.

With any upset, the underdog has to capitalize on their opponent's mistakes and be sure to clean up after their own. Tennessee committed two turnovers and senior linebacker Jalen Reeves-Maybin was ejected for a targeting penalty in the first half. This aided an early App State lead heading into halftime with the score 13-3.

If you didn't watch the game, at first glance, that 13 looks nice. You're probably doing some football math in your head like this: touchdown (6), PAT (1), one field goal (3), and another field goal (3). And you would be wrong.

App State did score that first touchdown in the first quarter and freshman placekicker Michael Rubino split the uprights for the PAT. Another touchdown was scored in the second quarter, but Rubino missed this PAT wide right, which would come back to bite us.
Kidd Brewer Stadium
Courtesy of appstatesports.com
Late in the fourth quarter, with the score tied at 13, Rubino missed a 42-yard field goal attempt. The game went into overtime and the Volunteers scored on their first possession off a fumble recovery in the end zone. In App's overtime possession, they went four-and-out, and Tennessee avoided the upset.

The biggest takeaway for me as a fan and student is looking at Michael Rubino's mistakes. Most students watching the game last night believe they could have made that PAT and field goal, but I would love for them to line up to kick in front of 100,074 angry, screaming fans. I am not upset with anyone's performance from Thursday night, including Rubino's, because being able to go to Knoxville and actually compete with an SEC opponent is an accomplishment in itself.

I am proud to be a Mountaineer and I look forward to cheering on MY school for our first home game next weekend against my good friend and former classmate, Oshane Ximines, and the Old Dominon Monarchs.

No comments:

Post a Comment